Thursday, December 06, 2007

The Variables of Being Rich

What defines a rich person.  Do you define a rich person by their net worth?  I have a negative net worth and I’m constantly reminding myself that it doesn’t mean I’m negative or even a bad business venture (if I look at myself as a business). 

Am I worth less now than I was when I was working at Burger King and had no degree but also no student loan debt?  No, I’m not cause I make hell of a lot more with the degree than with out it.

So is it the amount of money a person makes that defines them as a rich person.  Nope. A co-worker makes less than me but has 10 times more money in her savings account than I do.  

Then we have the people who do not have a dime to their name, but every time you see them they have a smile on their face and are constantly trying to help other people out, sometimes to the neglect of their own family’s needs.   Does that make them poor? Like most important decisions in life there are no black and white answers.  There are so many variables that sometimes it’s just easier to look at one or two of the variables and neglect the rest.  I’m trying to look at the overall picture.  The student loans are good debt, but I made a mistake and should have (1) paid on the interest while I was in school and (2) made sure every single dime went towards school expenses.  I am by no means rich, but neither am I poor.    

Speaking of variables, I to decide on a cheep mutual fund for my Roth. 

No comments: