Thursday, February 28, 2008

Why Do I Have So Much Money?

Recently Single Ma wrote a post about how she chooses to live paycheck to paycheck by paying herself first (retirement, savings, 529, etc) and then living off the rest.  I had never thought about it in those terms but I also choose to live paycheck to paycheck, which means that by the end of the month (I get paid once a month) I should be broke. Truthfully, when I compare my cc balances with my checking account balances I’m usually in the red and I’m forced to make budget adjustments for the next month to compensate for overspending. There is one more day in February and OHMYGOSH, I have too much money in my checking account.  That is I have cc balance of $500 and a checking account balance of $1,900 which leaves me with $1,400 of money I haven’t spent.  The old me would simply say cool and go out and buy more stuff but the new me has a designated plan for all of her money so I know I haven’t paid something.  Checking my budget spreadsheet:

All savings account money has been transferred and deposited for the month.

I have one $94 old credit card bill left to pay.  Done. I no longer have ANY old credit card debt.  Yeah!

I haven’t transferred a $320 rent check over to my business account.  Did it

I haven’t paid my tithes from the tax refund or for the month. $650! Pending

I bought $179 worth of clothes from the Gap and charged it on the store credit card.  I need to pay it. Done.

I ordered Maya’s birthday present from Amazon.  $240.  It hasn’t been charged to the cc yet because it hasn’t been shipped.  Pending

$94+$320+$650+$179+$240= $1,483

I feel proud of my budgeting skills.  According the numbers, I’m actually $83 over budget.  But I have a $144 reimbursement check coming so I’m not worried.  I may actually be under budget for the first month ever.  **fingers crossed**

No comments: