Monday, February 25, 2008

Almost Credit Card Debt Free

CNN.com has an article about the ever increasing credit card debt that Americans have accumulated.  Today I am here to say that I am not one of those millions.  I got my tax refund Friday and I am in the process of paying those suckers off.  I’ll still have a HELOC but that was used to acquire an asset so slowly but surely my guilt over that debt is eroding.  I’m happy to say that I’ve learned a lot over the past few months thanks to PF blogs and the following is a list of things I’m going to do to make sure I stay cc debt free:

  1. Have an ever increasing Emergency Fund so when an emergency happens I won’t have to use any credit cards.  I’ve just broke the $1,000 mark on my efund which is very small compared to where it should be.  The concept of saving 6 to 8 months of living expenses seems impossible but there is no deadline. Suze Orman, shows a table extended out to ten years in her free e-book. It would suck to take ten years to build an e-fund money but the point is to have it and make incremental increases.  (FYI, I have separate savings accounts for car, house, etc so my efunds is really at $2,000 but I don’t like including those accounts because I make withdrawals from those accts pretty regularly.
  2. Continue to post monthly net worth statements because they tell me where I am in my finances and makes me accountable. 
  3. Spend less than I earn!

It’s really not a lot.  In fact, it’s boring and because it’s boring it’s so easy to slide back into debt.  It really is more fun getting out of debt than being debt free but not if I make challenging goals.   Reaching a positive net worth is my next goal and assuming that OKC house values do not fall again, then I believe 2009 will be a pretty good year for me!

 

No comments: