Friday, September 21, 2007

Affirmative Action

So today I went to my alma mater for an engineering career fair with one of the top administrative assistants of my agency. So this is what I learned:

1. I was asked to go because I was Black and female. They are looking to recruit other minitories and females.
2. Every year state agencies have to do a report on affirmative action. The number of minorities working for the agency must be proportionate to the state's demographics.
3. Not only do they look at the proportion of minorities they look at the amount of minorities in proffessional positions. I.e. engineering and environmental scientists. Not just secretaries.
4. Middle Easterners do not count as minorities. That is, a guy from Banglesdesh or a woman from Iran would be considered White.
5. She told me that I could potentially get a lot of management positions simply because I am Black and female. and I could potentially manage other sections besides Engineering. Which is good because there is no chance of an engineering managment position opening up within the next 10 to 20 years.
6. Then she made sure to add that being a minority or a woman will not get you the job. they always hire the most qualified for the position but being a minorty and or woman will help get you the interview.

Hmm, that was some interesting stuff. Because for one, I was wondering why she asked me to go but I thought it would be rude to ask.

In April of next year, I will take my proffessioanl engineering exam. I can't get my promotion until I pass it. I will get $500 dollars more a month. Woohoo. but pretty much after that I'll only have one more chance for promotion before I hit the ceiling. Then whether I want to or not I would have to go look for another job and leave my comfort zone. But now I can apply for management postions. Hmmm...

So how does it feel to be told that I have my job because I am Black and female? I don't know. I know that I do this job just as well as most anyone else could. So, I will accept what she said "being Black and female won't guarantee you the job." And I refuse to think that I am less intelligent or deserving to have a job than the next guy.

No comments: