Thursday, January 01, 2009

How To Keep Your Family Fed Cheaply During a Medical Emergency

My brother is in the hospital and for the past couple of days my family has been living there. I'm cheap and I hate buying (other people) fast food. However, I've been buying fast food for my mom and my brother's wife for the past two days. Unsurprisingly the costs are adding up. So I am going to implement the following in order to save money and ensure my loved ones are getting fed:
1. Now is the time to join the wholesale store in my state (Oklahoma) called Sam's. I've been too cheap to pay the $40 membership fee. Hopefully, I can get someone to split the fee with me.
2. Purchase quick meals like Hamburger Helper; as well as, quick things like burritos, chips, breakfast sandwiches, vegetables and fruit.
3. Purchase a case of bottled water, get a sharpie and put each person's name on them. The kids will still lose the bottles but atleast I tried, right?
4. Purchase plastic silverware and plates.
5. Buy cheap/decent microwavable Tupperware for the home cooked meals and put my name on it. Maybe I can get the dishes back when all is said and done. Most hospitals have plenty of microwaves.
6. Deliver the food as needed in a cooler and restock the essentials (paper plates, water, etc).
7. Keep all receipts so I can deduct it from my emergency fund, if necessary.
Now that I have the plan written down it seems a little expensive, but my brother is going to be in there for a while. My mom is on a limited income and my sister-in-law only gets paid if she works. So yeah It'll be a expensive, but this is why I've been working on my emergency fund. It feels to know that I can take care of my people without worrying about credit card debt or missing out on paying a bill.

Am I missing anything?

No comments: