Thursday, July 17, 2008

I'm Back on the Saddle

Did I ever tell you that I was a thesis away from finishing my master’s degree?  I don’t think I have.  Well, I am.  I finished all the required courses to get a masters in creative writing in 2006 and stopped short of the thesis.  Well, God is watching out for me because studying for this Engineering Exam has really let me see how much I’d whether be doing something else for a living.  So, I’ve been working diligently on my novel/thesis while studying for the exam. 

I went up to the school today, reapplied for admission, and talked to the graduate advisor.  She was really helpful and encouraging, which helped because I was so nervous.  Writing a novel is so different from calculating a math problem.  I can do it.  I already know it.  Now I just gotta figure out what I want to do after this.  Go for a MFA at the same school or a PHD at OU.  Either way, I gotta get something published before I have enough weight to get accepted to either program. 

Tentative Plan:

Complete Master’s in Spring or Fall of 2009

Take a year off (2010) from school and work diligently on novel #2 and short story submissions

Fall 2011 apply for either PHD at OU or MFA at UCO.  Work on Novel #3

What suck about this is the money I gotta fork over for these dang classes!  6 credit hours is almost $1,200.

No comments: