Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Tsk, Tsk, Smile

Tsk, tsk…

I decided to do my first home improvement project this month, as apposed to home maintenance project, and build a brick patio in my back yard.  Sigh…

This is also the month that I go to Wiscon, a feminist science fiction convention.  Here is a break down of my balances so far:

Checking Acct 1. $496

Checking Acct 2= $161

Vacation Savings = $750

Total=$1,407

Credit cards

CC1=$1,011

CC2= $331

Hotel= $457

Total=$1,799

Difference=$-392 and I still got a lot of the month left!

The patio totally threw me off.  I budgeted $600 and I’ve spent $1,100 and it’s still not finished.  Now I know what it feels like to be on Flip That House and to see your budget skyrocket!  Sigh…

This is why I (and you should too) have an emergency fund and live below my means.  I’m not going to use my efund.  I am just going to halt my savings for June so that I won’t have to carry the balance forward.  I save around $500 to $800 per month in various savings accounts (cars, vacation, etc.) , which is more than enough to cover my overspending for the month but I need patio furniture for my patio!  I know how shallow but it’s a dream of mine to have a nice patio and now that I’ve started, I gotta finish.  I know, I know, shame on me but I don’t feel too guilty because I’ll still be able to meet my savings goal by the end of the year ($3,600). 

Confession: in July I’m halting my savings to go to South Padre Island.  Gasp!  But I’ll still meet my savings goal as long as I don’t do anything like this again.  ::SMILE::

No comments: