Monday, November 19, 2007

Thanks for the Check

I received a back child support check from Anthony’s father.  Actually DHS received the check six months from his and his wife’s taxes but DHS held it for six months waiting for his wife to object.  She never did.  I wonder if she even knows where the money went. 

I read somewhere from Field’s blog, an attorney, that White women go into court for the money and Black woman will give up a portion of the money just so the man would spend time with their kids.  He also stated that in addition to race, income level might have something to do with it.  If the woman was rich she would fight for more money and the poorer would settle for less. 

Interesting, Lord knows I’d do without the money so that my children could have a father in their life.    I would happily give up a portion of that child support check for the ability to drop my children off for the weekend to spend some quality time with their fathers. 

Ironically, I am the only one in my family to graduate high school, attend college, buy house etc, etc, but of my brothers and sisters I’m the only one who consistently have chosen men who do not choose to be involved in their children’s lives.  Hmmm, how ironic is that?  Maya’s father was in the Air Force and Anthony’s dad is an engineer.  These aren’t thug negro’s that I snubbed in high school.  My children’s fathers are smart, well off men.  Just goes to show you dead beat dads come in all shapes, sizes, colors, income and education levels.  I wonder if I would have been better off with a thug.  But anyways, I’m a couple of thousand dollars closer to obtaining a positive networth, so thanks for the check.

The following is conversation between my nephew, Dante, who is being raised by my brother and me and my kids:

Dante: Maya, where your Daddy?

Me: Dante, why are you worrying about Maya’s daddy?

Dante: because I never seen her daddy.  I want to see what he looks like.

Me: don’t worry about her daddy

Anthony (my three year old son): I don’t have a daddy neither

Silence… I didn’t know what else to say about that.  I kinda hoped he didn’t notice that he didn’t have a daddy.  He didn’t say it sad, it was almost like he was taking up for his sister.  I think it made Maya feel less alone in her daddylessness.

No comments: