Monday, November 26, 2007

I'm Thankful for My Budget

Thanksgiving spending sent me way over budget.

I cooked a turkey so I had to buy cooking ware for the turkey since I’ve never cooked a turkey before $48.

-I was also responsible for cups, plates, napkins etc. I bought it at SAMS in bulk. $10 piece but it’ll last for Christmas and New Year’s Eve get together. I also bought Tissue, washing powder, and dishwasher liquid in bulk $78

-My ex came to visit and I took him out to eat, tsk tsk. He’s in college and has no money. $46. He ate a lot and ordered a $7 glass of wine. **rolls eyes** I can’t wait until he graduates, gets a job, and then buys me lobster.

A few PF bloggers don’t bother with a budget (Dough Roller and Single Ma). They simply put a certain amount towards retirement and savings, pay their bills, and spend the rest. But those PF bloggers do not have any bad debt. I think it’s important for any person who has bad debt to have a budget and try their best to stick with it. I may have gone over budget every single month since I’ve been doing this but if I didn’t have a budget I’d still be racking up the bad debt because I would not know where my limits were. For example, if I didn’t already know I was over budget, then I would have went out and gone shopping on Black Friday putting all of it on credit cards. Budgets suck but I’m thankful that I have one. Hopefully, in a couple years when my bad debt is eliminated and I have a positive net worth, I can do away with my restrictive budget and simply contribute to my 401K, Roth, 529, and a little bit to savings and spend the rest however I see fit.

No comments: